Friday, July 3, 2009

The Narnia poll - the results

Which was your favourite Narnia book? The results might surprise you...

By a narrow margin, two books came out on top. That's right, it was a dead heat, but which were the joint winners?

One of the two shouldn't be a huge surprise - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. High adventure, a seafaring tale, plus the little guys with only one foot. And Reepicheep, of course, who made all singin', all dancin', all fencin' mice cool long before Brian Jacques started writing the same book over and over. (Oops - did I say that out loud?)

Incidentally, I'm excited to note that Dawn Treader is the next of the Chronicles to be adapted into a movie, with Eddie Izzard voicing Reepicheep. After the disappointment of the Prince Caspian movie (I always felt it was the weakest book anyway) I'm looking forward to the next movie very much.

Back to the poll: the other winner was The Magician's Nephew. I know - I was slightly surprised as well. But I can see why it polled well. In a genre where the quest for a convincing inter-world portal never ends (and where Lewis had to come up with several) I always thought the rings and the Wood Between The Worlds was genius. The moment where Digory realises with horror that he almost forgot to mark their pond... **sharp intake of breath**

For the record, my vote was for The Silver Chair, with Dawn Treader and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in a close race for second.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thankyou!!!!!! all my friends think that the movie prince caspian was good. i thought the movie was too long, and when they all should've died for some weird reason the water turns into some half-naked old man who destroys the bridge never to be seen again. by the way, i totally agree with you about brian j. and the endless wood between the world. dont you think its weird how people can never really comprehend infinite things, yet people always write about it. freaky.

Meg McKinlay said...

Snap, James. I'm a Silver Chair diehard, too, with Dawn Treader and LWW jockeying for second. Have you read Laura Miller's The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Guide to Narnia? I came across this last year and found it a very thought-provoking read.

james roy said...

I have seen the site, Meg, and I'm planning to buy it. It looks very interesting.

james roy said...

Planning to buy the book, that is, not the site.